Change in Graphics

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
MugenFox
Donator

Change in Graphics

Post by MugenFox »

I have a question, if I take out another PC's graphics card, is it possible to put it in my laptop?
IBM to Dell Latitude D500

alterbridge86

Post by alterbridge86 »

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that you'd be able to do that...laptops aren't like desktops in that way - most laptops require parts from their manufacturer that are designed to fit the case, etc.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

not without a lot of effort

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

Should I try anyways? Does a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro work with Vista?

IsaacD

Post by IsaacD »

The Graphics Controller is specifically tied and programmed to the type of LCD Panel that is in your Laptop, you may be able to interchange the two different Graphics Controllers, but chances are the BIOS in the new Graphics Controller won't be able to control the LCD Panel in the Laptop.

In the case that you do manage to somehow transfer the 2 different controllers, the onboard LCD will probably be disabled, but you maybe able to use the External VGA port to hook up an External Monitor.

It's a lot of work to interchange different parts into different laptops, I have done it many times before, but it takes ALOT of work and alot of know how to actually manage to pull some things off.
Slavic Wog to the Core!

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

1.3Ghz processor, 20GB HDD, 640MB of RAM and now you want to somehow hax in a video card for Vista. Face it, you're beating a dead horse. You'd be so much better off with a new laptop

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

That's true happy dude but I am upgrading so yeah.
After a month or two, these will be my specs

160GB HDD
1.3 GhZ Processor
1GB or 2GB of RAM

xdragonfly

Post by xdragonfly »

Notebook computers are very difficult to upgrade. You really need to follow the upgrade docs on the companies website. With the prices going down, you might as well just buy a new machine.

xdragonfly

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

I have a complete mint conditioned guide to upgrade it and I used this laptop for everything.

logicaL

Post by logicaL »

IBM laptops don't have any sort of removable Graphics Chips. And neither does the D500.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

You can't change your graphic gard.
Your computer will still be slow even if you can the graphic card. You won't be able to play games at a decent speed cause your CPU is slow.
New laptops perform better.
A laptop with a cost of $500 is problary better than your current laptop.

Most laptop are locked to their predinstalled graphic card.
But the CPU, memory, hdd and dvd drive could be changed.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

XDude wrote: A laptop with a cost of $500 is problary better than your current laptop.
Mine was $550AUD after rebates and it blows his specs away (check sig). Again, you'd be better off with a new laptop. It's like hanging onto an old car with 3 bald tyres, wornout seatbelt and has had its brakeline cut. You don't keep it just because you've driven everywhere in it.

IsaacD

Post by IsaacD »

happy dude wrote: Mine was $550AUD after rebates and it blows his specs away (check sig). Again, you'd be better off with a new laptop. It's like hanging onto an old car with 3 bald tyres, wornout seatbelt and has had its brakeline cut. You don't keep it just because you've driven everywhere in it.
Ahem, very bad example, mine still has a handbrake.... *Whistle*
Slavic Wog to the Core!

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

MugenFox
Donator

Post by MugenFox »

I need the graphics card not for games but for Vista. My Intel one has some compability problems.

Ambig

Post by Ambig »

MugenFox wrote:I need the graphics card not for games but for Vista. My Intel one has some compability problems.
I don't think Nvidia ever supported a Nvidia Riva video card. I think its from the Nvidia 5200 and up is supported, and the 5 series is supported I think with one set of drivers.

You're not going to upgrade your video card, certainly not with a desktop video card. Desktop video cards use a entirely different connection and design. They look nothing alike. And if you have integrated graphics, you're definitely not upgrading the video card.