[Invitation] Help us test the next BA Online Desktop

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
leonbollerup
Donator

[Invitation] Help us test the next BA Online Desktop

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi All,

I'm proud to announce that me and Andy would like to invite 10 eager beta testers to join us in testing a hopefully-to-be Online Desktop - Just for BA users - with options optimized for BA.

[ Background ]
As some of you might know, i am the Lead Project Manager of a online desktop solution company.

We have over the past half year been working on a Enterprise version of StartForce (0.7) that is ready in Beta-1, its alot more advanced than the free online version at our .com site.

Since Andy is a friend of mine, we have come up with the idea to have some fun, and invite you into a whole new world of online applications.

[ The idea ]
The idea with this Beta test, is to to gather user experince wether this could be a permanent sollution that we could provide to BA members.

[ How can you help ]
We need your help, to test this, give your feedback, not in terms of bugs etc. - but how you think that BA could benefit from this.

[ What kind of applications does it have ]
Messenger, sharing, external sharing (kicks rapidshare's but bigtime), text/word editor, quickview, file explorer, ssh client, rdp client and much much more.

[ Are you a devleoper.. well... devleop then ]
BA-Desk contains a highly advanced API, both for creating internal and external appliations.. such as remotely hosted PHP applications.

[ Sounds cool.. how do i sign up ]
Drop me a mail at lsb@startforce.eu - the first 10 to write me a good email with a good reason why YOU should be among the first beta tester will gain access today!

//regards
Leon, LPM - StartForce

Leon
Donator

Post by Leon »

Sending an email now

Edit: Sent
Edit2: You spelt develop wrong "devleop then"
Last edited by Leon on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chicago

Post by Chicago »

Sent my mail!

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Also sended a good one to you just.

Great, i like this kind of beta testing.

leonbollerup
Donator

Gives beta accounts given - new "beta testers" gro

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

Some of you have recieved your beta account, should you have any questions/feedback/need a tour, either post here, drop me a mail or get on on MSN (leon.bollerup@hotmail.com)

Enjoy!

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Yay!

Andrew
Donator

Post by Andrew »

Leon, I've just sent you a heartfelt email, I really hope that I can test this solution

Leon
Donator

Post by Leon »

Yay! I'm in
Edit: How should we report bugs? Reply to this topic or PM you? (One i've found right now is that forums doesn't open)
Edit2: Is there a way to make the desktop icons bigger? I don't really like the text below it i.e "Fil..." and "We..."

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Sent an e-mail.
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Leon wrote:Edit2: Is there a way to make the desktop icons bigger? I don't really like the text below it i.e "Fil..." and "We..."
You can increase the Icon size to 48px, by right-clicking the desktop, opening the settings, and selecting the third icon at the side:

leonbollerup
Donator

I would suggest to try the sharing features also

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

Give the sharing features a try, here you can share both internal with other users and externaly with non-desktop users.

Also, notice that sharing works with drag/drop in Messenger
Last edited by leonbollerup on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon
Donator

Post by Leon »

hounsell wrote:
Leon wrote:Edit2: Is there a way to make the desktop icons bigger? I don't really like the text below it i.e "Fil..." and "We..."
You can increase the Icon size to 48px, by right-clicking the desktop, opening the settings, and selecting the third icon at the side:

<image>
I didn't notice that Thanks But some things still are too small to display (Web Brow...)
leonbollerup wrote:Hi,

Give the sharing features a try, here you can share both internal with other users and externaly with non-desktop users.

Also, notice that sharing works with drag/drop in Messenger
I'm sharing 2 mp3s I want someone else to share too though...

Also, Its kinda hard to add people to the messenger (Have to search their name, add them, open search again...), Is there a way to drag them from the Contacts Manager to messenger to add them?
Last edited by Leon on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

I would test but I really dont have the time to write an email and by the time I do all spots will be taken

Chicago

Post by Chicago »

It's Awesome! I'll be testing it as much as I can, but the interface is magic!
thks!

zeehonden_3

Post by zeehonden_3 »

Wow, it is very cool! I'm going to test it very much! I like it!

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Bugs:

1) (Really not a bug) Missing Feedback or submit bug application (wich only sends e-mail to the admin)
2) The Forum button doesn't work (woops, already reported).

3) When logging in, if you tab the Remember me button before logging in, and open the page again the tick is gone.

4) When I click OK on something, it says saved settings and then you must click the close button to close the window, can't it be done with clicking ok, you get an message its saved and then automatically closes the dialog box?

5) In the Beta Testers Folder on the shares, you can't upload anyfile or make any folder there.

A) Keep on working it, looks really great so far!

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

One quick thing I noticed (not that its big), is that you cannot add your own desktop wallpaper (unless i missed something). I'll look around some more.

Edit: Nevermind, It turned out I had to refresh the page to get it to show me my png file.
-Jeff

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

If its in the pictures folder it shows up in the list.

But found a problem with my desktop.

At first the icons on the desktop worked, but now the uploader and some other icons doesn't work, but in the start menu they all work.

And i agree with Leon about that the messenger functionality with adding is a bit difficult.
You should add a button to add them from a list or group on the server.

And i have shared 2 music files, (nice ones) and a background of a HP Compaq D530.

leonbollerup
Donator

Its time to expand

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

I think we can open up for a bit more people, and at the same time apoint a "admin"

Andy, got any special person you can point to ? - if not, any would like to help with the admin job, drop me a mail.

On the admin account you can :
* create group folders
* Create Groups
* Add/delete users
* Mange the 200gb storage
* connect to file servers
* many... many.. other things.

zeehonden_3

Post by zeehonden_3 »

Don't we have to sent you the bugs/feedbacks in stead of posting it here?

leonbollerup
Donator

feedback and bugs

Post by leonbollerup »

Hi,

Yep, send it to lsb@startforce.eu