Site Design

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
callumh

Site Design

Post by callumh »

Hello.

I've recently been working on the new http://www.network467.co.uk, and yesterday I released it with the new template that I've been working on for a while now.

So, what do you think about it? Is it good, bad? Any constructive criticism?

Note: I know there are some tiny IE layout issues where the blue bar is a different size than say FF.

Thanks,
Callum

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Nice and Simple layout...very easy on the eyes. (I didn't notice any of the layout issues you were mentioning with IE).

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Simple...nice...

by the way http://www.network467.co.uk/projects.php, "EasyCB" by Jonathon Keogh hasnt been discontinued, a new version was released... nothing too important I guess =\

callumh

Post by callumh »

4tified wrote:Nice and Simple layout...very easy on the eyes. (I didn't notice any of the layout issues you were mentioning with IE).
I'd describe them more of a difference than an issue after looking at it again. See here:
There a very small difference.

happy dude wrote:Simple...nice...

by the way http://www.network467.co.uk/projects.php, "EasyCB" by Jonathon Keogh hasnt been discontinued, a new version was released... nothing too important I guess =\
Okay thanks for that, I didn't actually write that bit so I'll leave it for now
BTW your link has a comma at the end

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

Ahh. Now I see what you're talking about. Guess it depends on the resolution. With 1600x1200, it's completely centered for me.

callumh

Post by callumh »

Its supposed to be right aligned within the centered 950px content column. I'm at 1650x1050 (22") and the problem differences aren't really influential on the design, from my opinion.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

On lower resolutions, if you are forced to scroll, it looks like this:

I was using my EeePC, so 800px width. I guess it depends if you want to accommodate that sort of small screen or not

callumh

Post by callumh »

hounsell wrote:On lower resolutions, if you are forced to scroll, it looks like this:

I was using my EeePC, so 800px width. I guess it depends if you want to accommodate that sort of small screen or not
I also see that when I set my laptop to 800x600. I guess the majority of users will be using bigger resolutions by todays standards.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Most website are standard for 1024x786.

Any bigger and 50% of all people are forced to scroll.

longview

Post by longview »

Not sure if this is how you intended it to look in Opera 9.5?
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

callumh

Post by callumh »

Thanks for pointing that out ( ) - No, its most certianly not supposed to look like that. Look at the screenshots I took of it above.

I'll have a look at the source code and sort out this awful mess.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Looks like the background that was meant to be in the blue banner has made its way into the main text

callumh

Post by callumh »

Some sort of DIV problem I'd guess. I had to use an IF IE6 to prevent a similar issue in IE6.

B-Man

Awsome site!!!

Post by B-Man »

I really like your website, the layout is very easy to use and is also very easy on the eyes. The site is displayed fine in IE7 on 1440 x 900.

Also, not sure if you know about this handy tool but you can test your website on just about every web browser I can think of here. From what you said it sounds like you have IE and FF installed physicaly on your computer. This has many versions of eash browser on it and you can test your website on each one. http://browsershots.org/

Because it sometimes takes some time to generate the "Browser Shots" I have already done it for you. Just go to this link : http://browsershots.org/http://www.network467.co.uk/

After looking at the site with browser shots it seems it isn't displayed in Opera well (any version) and in any version of IE before version 7 the header isn't well. In firefox, seamonkey and many other browsers tho it looks awsome.

Edit: For some reason the images never completed and timed out, most of them are there but a few insignificant ones didn't make it... oh well.

callumh

Post by callumh »

Thanks for that

I've already submitted it to Browsershots before though

Chris1244

Post by Chris1244 »

This is a great template may I ask what did you design it it is absolutely great keep going.
TheTutorial

callumh

Post by callumh »

Chris1244 wrote:This is a great template may I ask what did you design it it is absolutely great keep going.
IIUYC, The code was done in Notepad, and the graphics in Photoshop.

Eltragon

Post by Eltragon »

nice

Psycho390

Post by Psycho390 »

I went to the website, and it looks slick.
Only thing i would change is the menu
(remove that word navigation) and maybe make it look like its intergraded with the banner but besides that. I like the lay out.

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

It's quite a nice layout, fairly easy on the eyes. One thing I would critisise is the menu. It doesnt seem to blend to the rest of the site and seems a bit alone down there. Maybe reposition it.

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

Figure out what in the CSS needs to be changed and move that into a seperate file (ex. IE7-default.css). A lot of people use javascript embedded in the page header to check the browser and write the appropriate .css file right into the page.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

EDIT: I personally think the web design is decent but in the same sense network467 itself is not anybody I would choose to do business with, due to the fact they have had numerous GPL voliatons, and the fact they reshacked some chinese mp4 video software to call it their own, not to mention bundling spyware with it to make a quick buck.

I'm zimmy and I approve this message as it's not flaming or insulting anyone, it's stating facts!
Last edited by stitch on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I've removed the link in your post because its not appropriate.

Please remember the rules.
Insults, Flaming and Language
- You may not insult any individual, groups of individuals, organisations, etc, regardless of their affiliation with this forum. This includes threats, flames and alike behavior against the same.
You have been warned.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

Andy wrote:I've removed the link in your post because its not appropriate.

Please remember the rules.
Insults, Flaming and Language
- You may not insult any individual, groups of individuals, organisations, etc, regardless of their affiliation with this forum. This includes threats, flames and alike behavior against the same.
You have been warned.
I edited it. It shouldn't be breaking rules now.