Factorizer sigs

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

Factorizer sigs

Post by Andy »

Hello all,

It has come to the attention of myself and the moderators that the factorizer images people are displaying in their signatures have offensive language in them. We are not sure how long it has been like this but you have to remember this is a forum where people of the younger generation read.

Because of the bad language and the inability to stop it from appearing, it has hereby been decided that all factorizer sigs are banned from the forum. It is up to you to remove them immediately or they will be removed for you. If you don't remove it and we do, but you restore it, you will be banned without warning.

I hope everyone understands the concern.

Andy (Admin)

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

I agree. I've seen those signatures and have actually seen two offensive words in them. I don't like the culture of those signatures, and I find that they are dangurous, offensive, and that they harm people. Offensive language is not the only reason I don't like those signatures. The main reason I don't like them is the things that are displayed, and the things they talk about, which I find VERY dangurous and VERY harmful. I don't think young children should EVER have to see the trash they say. I'm glad those signatures are gone.

I have enough problems seeing the Technology industry become a sick, sad, and annoying joke, and I don't want to see the same problems repeat with this community. Most kids today wouldn't know what "Edutainment" was, and those signatures that you mentioned, certainly wouldn't help. If I were to set up a kids PC, I would enforce strict restrictions, and Factorizer signatures would certainly be banned.
Andy wrote: We are not sure how long it has been like this but you have to remember this is a forum where people of the younger generation read.
I've only seen those signatures since at least January this year.
Last edited by WinPC on Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Someone has said that they are not even slightly funny in most cases and just end up being a waste of space and bandwidth.

It annoys me most when you think that some people pay for their bandwidth by the MB or GB, depending on the ISP, and they have to pay for something that is pointless and annoying.

If it is a static signature like most on the forum, they only download that once, but these factorizer sigs have to be downloaded every time they change page because they are dynamic.

Kenneth
Donator

Post by Kenneth »

I knew that this was the end for that type of sig.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Toshua123 still has that terrible Factorizer signature. Can you please remove it?

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

I'd seen the offensive language many times here on them, even took a screen
of one of them as I couldn't beleive it when I'd read it, but in seeing
how many petty arguments start here, I figured on not bothering about it...

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

For promoting something positive in replacement: http://www.sloganizer.net/en/

I've seen these many times and I don't recall ever seeing any innapproapate phrases in them. I've clicked though them a few times on their homepage (enter a name to test, I used Toshua123's name, lol) and seemed approapate.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

I've removed mine.

RichardG867

Post by RichardG867 »

*deleted mine*
Sig removed due to admin request.

moonlit

Post by moonlit »

Zimmy wrote:For promoting something positive in replacement: http://www.sloganizer.net/en/

I've seen these many times and I don't recall ever seeing any innapproapate phrases in them. I've clicked though them a few times on their homepage (enter a name to test, I used Toshua123's name, lol) and seemed approapate.
While it might be a little less inappropriate I'm not sure it's much better in terms of wasted bandwidth.

I don't personally pay by the bit or whatever but I know some people do and if you don't have to use rotating sigs then I'm not sure why anyone would.

longview

Post by longview »

I don't like those sigs because they're boring tedious and some other mean words, but I support using people who pay by the bit as an excuse.

Edit: Lol, post 286.. get it? it's funny because, ah forget it.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

If we would really help out the users who pay by the bandwidth we would install a text based phpBB theme (Yes, they exist).

ADD: To avoid shooting myself in the foot, let's go into the details of why a text based theme as an option for people in certain countries where slow internet that's pay per usage (Russia is a prime example), is a great option.

User logs onto BA, downloads the 300kb site and it takes about 4-5 minutes, it caches. -> User views a few topics, takes a little while longer because of the image uploads. -> User views more topics, runs into a few other users who have large images in their sigs (which images in sigs are pointless, text can get the point through just fine), more loading and kb/mb usage). -> Cache expires, more data usage comes about -> More image uploads, user waits on it to view the info in the topic he/she wants to view.

Get it?

If we had a text-based theme, possiably one that filtered out the images in the posts, it would be benifital to users that you're claiming that exist or could possiably exist (which I believe in the theroy, I've seen it on the old now defunt WinBoards). You complain about some stupid sigs yet you don't want to tackle the big issue. Any reason why?

Before you attempt to shoot me in the foot, you shot yourself in the foot.

longview

Post by longview »

I agree, a text based one should be availible, it would help out, especially when I'm surfing on a mobile EDGE network, which I will be in about a week.

Isn't it possible to turn off sigs?
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Zimmy wrote:If we would really help out the users who pay by the bandwidth we would install a text based phpBB theme (Yes, they exist).

ADD: To avoid shooting myself in the foot, let's go into the details of why a text based theme as an option for people in certain countries where slow internet that's pay per usage (Russia is a prime example), is a great option.

User logs onto BA, downloads the 300kb site and it takes about 4-5 minutes, it caches. -> User views a few topics, takes a little while longer because of the image uploads. -> User views more topics, runs into a few other users who have large images in their sigs (which images in sigs are pointless, text can get the point through just fine), more loading and kb/mb usage). -> Cache expires, more data usage comes about -> More image uploads, user waits on it to view the info in the topic he/she wants to view.

Get it?

If we had a text-based theme, possiably one that filtered out the images in the posts, it would be benifital to users that you're claiming that exist or could possiably exist (which I believe in the theroy, I've seen it on the old now defunt WinBoards). You complain about some stupid sigs yet you don't want to tackle the big issue. Any reason why?

Before you attempt to shoot me in the foot, you shot yourself in the foot.
Yes i have seen that.
When i search google and come a cross and forum when i click it i come into a low-fy version.

Like this:

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

If a user wants a text based site, all they have to do it go into their browser options and disable images. The image alt="" tags will show instead of the image and they can continue to browse normally. That's what they're there for.

The Lo-Fi versions are available on IPB by default aren't they?

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Andy wrote:If a user wants a text based site, all they have to do it go into their browser options and disable images. The image alt="" tags will show instead of the image and they can continue to browse normally. That's what they're there for.

Yeah, IP.Board has Lo-Fi version and VBuilletin has Archive. And in fact the IPB's Lo-Fi is VB's Archive's rip off (from what ive heared).
What DjRob posted is Lo-Fi of IPB.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

FiFi wrote:
Andy wrote:If a user wants a text based site, all they have to do it go into their browser options and disable images. The image alt="" tags will show instead of the image and they can continue to browse normally. That's what they're there for.

Yeah, IP.Board has Lo-Fi version and VBuilletin has Archive. And in fact the IPB's Lo-Fi is VB's Archive's rip off (from what ive heared).
What DjRob posted is Lo-Fi of IPB.
Maybe i not allowed to say it (please remove it if you like) but thats was flexbeta.