[Offer] Fixed version of Janus (Windows 3.1) Build 34e

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
WinPC

[Offer] Fixed version of Janus (Windows 3.1) Build 34e

Post by WinPC »

I recently fixed Janus Build 34e. The copy on the servers had a rebuilt copy of Disk 2, that was rebuilt using files from the retail version of Windows 3.1, however, those files arn't fully compatible with this early release, so I replaced the files in Disk 2 with versions from Windows 3.00a, Janus Build 61d, and even the USER.SYM file with the version from the Windows 3.1 SDK, since the copy in the package wasn't the real version, but just another copy of USER.EXE.

I also have a disk image called "FIXES.IMA", with other fixes for this version. Read the BA.NFO file to learn more about it.

Here's a Rapidshare link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/96626579/Ja ... e.zip.html

Enjoy!

Edit: Janus is Windows 3.1's Codename.
Last edited by WinPC on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Thanks man!

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

DjRob wrote:Thanks man!
I'm glad you like it! Also, the Disk 2 image in this package would be a lot closer to the original Disk 2 than the image contained in the OSBA release. I also created a nice NFO file:
*******************************************************************************************
* B e t a A r c h i v e P r e s e n t s *
* Janus Build 34e (Fixed by WinPC) *
*******************************************************************************************

OSBA Released Janus Build 34e on September 6th, 2003. However, disk 2 was missing, and was
rebuilt, using files from the retail version of Windows 3.1. Unfortunately, this caused
some incompatibilities with the files from Build 34e. For example, when booting to this
build, when you would type Win at the command prompt, the logo would display, and then
the system would switch back to DOS, with the logo still being displayed. Also, when
selecting Help - About, this build would give an error and swictch back to DOS, and the
icons wouldn't work either.

For this reason, I decided to replace as many files in Disk 2, with versions from
Windows 3.00a, Build 61d, and even one file with a version from the Windows 3.1 SDK, which is mentioned below,

The most notable replacements have been listed here:
CGALOGO.LGO (Version 3.00a) = Probably fixed bootup problem
EGALOGO.LGO (Version 3.00a) = Probably fixed bootup problem
VGALOGO.LGO (Version 3.00a) = Probably fixed bootup problem
WINOLDAP.MOD (Version 3.00a) = Probably more suitable for this early release
USER.SYM (VERSION 3.10) = Replaced this file with the version from the Windows 3.1 SDK, since the
other version wasn't the "real" USER.SYM, but instead, just a copy of USER.EXE.

Aside from replacements, there have been other fixes as well. These fixes eliminate the need
for Windows 3.1 Setup to create program groups.

Other fixes:
ACCESSOR.GRP = Added to this package to eliminate the need for Setup to create program groups
GAMES.GRP = Added to this package to eliminate the need for Setup to create program groups
MAIN.GRP = Added to this package to eliminate the need for Setup to create program groups
STARTUP.GRP = Added to this package to eliminate the need for Setup to create program groups
PROGMAN.INI
PROGMAN.EXE (Version 3.00a) = Fixed the problems with Program Manager that were mentioned
above, original version from Build 34e has been renamed "PROGMAN.W31"

To install the Program Manager fixes, extract the files in the disk image "FIXES.IMA", to the directory
in which Janus Build 34e is installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Requirments
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware:
8086/8088 or higher (286 or higher recommended)
1 MB RAM (2 MB RAM or more recommended)
PC Compatible System
CGA or bettor graphics (If upgrading from Windows 3.0)
EGA or bettor graphics (If performing a clean install)
AT Compatible Keyboard

Recommended:
286 or higher
4 MB RAM
IBM or 100% Compatible
VGA or better graphics
101/102 key AT Keyboard
Mouse
50 MB Hard Drive

Software:
XMS Driver
MS-DOS 3.1 or higher

Recommended:
HIMEM.SYS Installed
MS-DOS 5.0 or higher

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Enjoy this Beta!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I also removed the "Fixed by Shard>>" references in the Setup.inf file so that when it's installing it looks more like the original version.

Edit: Sorry if the first part of the NFO quote isn't diisplayed properly
Edit 2: Although the system requirments here claim to require an AT Compatible Keyboard, it would work with an XT Compatible Keyboard as well. Sorry if anyone got confused.
Last edited by WinPC on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Namronia

Post by Namronia »

Nice

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

The copy of Disk 2 was missing EGACOLOR.2GR, EGALOGO.LGO, and EGALOGO.RLE, so I added those files and re-uploaded this version.