Windows Server 2008 RC0 released today

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
jwborc39963

Windows Server 2008 RC0 released today

Post by jwborc39963 »

I dont have access to anyone's FTPs, but im sure someone has it already. I am downloading it from connect at about 2MBps (gotta love college!).

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

It's also available to non-Connect testers - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalce ... 83571.aspx

m4rkuz

Post by m4rkuz »

here are some linkz:

Windows Server 2008 RC0 Standard Edition x86

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... EN_DVD.iso

Windows Server 2008 RC0 Standard Edition x64

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... EN_DVD.iso

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

this is not vista, right?
if yes and happy downloading to me 2 moz @school:P

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

No, this is the server version, looks like vista but with only windows classic.
More stable then build 6000 of the RTM

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

DjRob wrote:No, this is the server version, looks like vista but with only windows classic.
no, you can also enable Aero
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

They said it's the first build to include Viridian. Sounds interesting. I wonder if they'll include it in all (or the most editions) or only in some...

cooled

Post by cooled »

empireum wrote:They said it's the first build to include Viridian. Sounds interesting. I wonder if they'll include it in all (or the most editions) or only in some...
viridian is x64 only its in all the editions except for web.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Oh i saw in the themes folder the aero folder but it was empty.
Maybe another build?

Luckie
Donator

Post by Luckie »

no other Build. Install Desktop Experience to get Aero (Glass)
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Quite a nice build indeed, some minor branding changes in Setup compared to 16648.

Rhade™

Post by Rhade™ »

damn i hate this rename of there OS'es every OS the same fu**

Windows.NET Server 2003 ren Windows Server 2003
Longhorn Server ren Windows Server 2008

If I get my new System i will test it, now it has the German Language included and it will be fine for me

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

It was never going to be called Longhorn Server, just like Vista was never going to be called Longhorn [client] - "Longhorn" was just the code name for NT6. Windows .NET Server 2003 was however going to be called that (its codename was Whistler Server, again taking the codename of the client OS upon which is what based), the .NET was only dropped at the very last minute, even later than RC2 I think.

One interesting thing is that I see in the screenshots above it still says "Version 6.0 Build 6001" - will they not change it to NT 6.1 at some point, like Server 2003 was a .1 increment greater than XP?

Edit: one more thing, Paul Thurrott has some screenshots said to be RC0 and they are still branded as Longhorn Server - is he actually running a slightly older version, or is it that they've put the 2008 branding into the Web Server SKU shown here but not the edition that he's running?
Last edited by Vista Ultimate R2 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:One interesting thing is that I see in the screenshots above it still says "Version 6.0 Build 6001" - will they not change it to NT 6.1 at some point, like Server 2003 was a .1 increment greater than XP?
I always thought this too, but it now looks as if they aren't...
I don't know why.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:One interesting thing is that I see in the screenshots above it still says "Version 6.0 Build 6001" - will they not change it to NT 6.1 at some point, like Server 2003 was a .1 increment greater than XP?

Edit: one more thing, Paul Thurrott has some screenshots said to be RC0 and they are still branded as Longhorn Server - is he actually running a slightly older version, or is it that they've put the 2008 branding into the Web Server SKU shown here but not the edition that he's running?
Good question, maybe this will be done later. Ah, about .NET Server 2003, the final name was introduced after Build 3742 which is significantly newer than RC2; so it was really renamed "in the last minute".

Thurrott's screenshots say SP1, v.126, which tells us this is not the RC0. The RC0 is SP1, v.275 IIRC. All editions of the RC0 (SP1 v.275) are branded like the Web Server (btw, is it just me, or does "Windows Web Server 2008" sound better than "Windows Server 2008 Web (Edition)"?).

Rhade™

Post by Rhade™ »

Dito !

Windows Web Server 2008 - Sounds better

@Vista Ultimate R2 : I know this, also that the NET was renamed in the last minute - but the same OS name since years and years and years sucks . . .

they define this OS as new and inovativ but the name is the same a shame hehe