RE: If you have problems spelling

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
stitch
Permanently Banned

RE: If you have problems spelling

Post by stitch »

Sorry to make a topic just to reply to a locked topic, but prehaps, some people don't WANT to switch to such a shitty browser as firefox?

Forcing software down people's throats is like, very rude. People should be able to use what they want.

Andy
Administrator

Re: RE: If you have problems spelling

Post by Andy »

Zimmy wrote:Sorry to make a topic just to reply to a locked topic, but prehaps, some people don't WANT to switch to such a s**t browser as firefox?

Forcing software down people's throats is like, very rude. People should be able to use what they want.
We have not told people to switch to firefox, it was a mere suggestion and I'm sorry if you took it that way. Unfortunately some members thing it is OK to consistently spell everything wrong and it is very annoying.

Alternatives are:
- Type your post in a word processor and spell check it before posting
- Use a dictionary on words you're unsure of

Apache
Donator

Post by Apache »

What is so bad about firefox?
|3e|\|

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Apache wrote:What is so bad about firefox?
I guess some people don't like it. Just like I don't like IE that much.

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

I am sorry for the harsh undertone here... but using Internet Explorer in today's age, in Windows, is akin to smoking at a gas station. SURE, you might be lucky that nothing bad will happen, but MAN, the risk is ALWAYS there.. what GOOD could come from it?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

RentedMule wrote:I am sorry for the harsh undertone here... but using Internet Explorer in today's age, in Windows, is akin to smoking at a gas station. SURE, you might be lucky that nothing bad will happen, but MAN, the risk is ALWAYS there.. what GOOD could come from it?
Thats what persuaded me to move to FF. Never had a single bit of spyware since. But remember its the persons choice. You can't force them.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Andy wrote:
RentedMule wrote:I am sorry for the harsh undertone here... but using Internet Explorer in today's age, in Windows, is akin to smoking at a gas station. SURE, you might be lucky that nothing bad will happen, but MAN, the risk is ALWAYS there.. what GOOD could come from it?
Thats what persuaded me to move to FF. Never had a single bit of spyware since. But remember its the persons choice. You can't force them.
And if someone doesn't like FF, IE's not the only browser left. What about Opera? And as said, noone here is forced to use FF if (s)he doesn't like it. FF was just used as an example for having an integrated spell checker. All what was asked for was to reduce the number of spelling mistakes in posts, by whatever means.

compact-mac
Donator

Post by compact-mac »

I use FF on my server but Opera on my laptop...
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

PS: Opera can use Aspell-win32 and Safari (Mac/Win) also has a spell checker built in.

ADD: Now that I know Aspell has a win32 version, here it comes into my programs.

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

Well I am suspecious of Firefox if it has the integrated Google toolbar...

Personally, I can't say that I don't like firefox, but I feel that it has a lot of features I don't need - therefore I use K-Meleon...

ALthough my speeling cuold use some work.
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

Frozenport wrote:Well I am suspecious of Firefox if it has the integrated Google toolbar...

Personally, I can't say that I don't like firefox, but I feel that it has a lot of features I don't need - therefore I use K-Meleon...

It has an integrated SEARCH bar. Yahoo is in there. And you can add just about anyone you want. Google is just default... and do you really blame that decision?

ZSS9393

Post by ZSS9393 »

I'm an Opera fanboy now, due to the fact that Firefox has degraded over time. Yeah sure, Firefox 1.5 was pretty good, but since 2.0, it sucks.

I'm not trying to force this down anyone's throats, but switch to Opera. It's just plain better.
http://ubuntu.com
^Ubuntu 8. New installer. Why the heck didn't they do this years ago?

AnDrEwP182

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

Frozenport wrote:Well I am suspecious of Firefox if it has the integrated Google toolbar...

The kind that came integated with the Google toolbar was NOT an official Mozilla product, and many sources I tried had some undetected virii (at the time) in them.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

A lot of sites that have "get Firefox" links actually download the version with the Google Toolbar built in, which I assume is made by Google not Mozilla. Apparently Google pay the owner of the site with the link every time their version of the browser is downloaded, or at least that's what I've heard.

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:A lot of sites that have "get Firefox" links actually download the version with the Google Toolbar built in, which I assume is made by Google not Mozilla. Apparently Google pay the owner of the site with the link every time their version of the browser is downloaded, or at least that's what I've heard.
Correct. Last I checked, it's $1 for every conversion (the google toolbar reports back that it's been installed and ran, afaik, it's the only solution I can think of to gain the credit).

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:A lot of sites that have "get Firefox" links actually download the version with the Google Toolbar built in, which I assume is made by Google not Mozilla. Apparently Google pay the owner of the site with the link every time their version of the browser is downloaded, or at least that's what I've heard.
I got the google search bar in mine and mine came down with the autoupdater.

moonlit

Post by moonlit »

Just to note, the Google Toolbar and the Firefox search box are different things... the Toolbar is an extention/plugin, the search box is part of Firefox (the bit to the right of the address bar) and isn't Google-only, just preconfigured to use Google as of course Google is what a whole lotta people use.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Do you mean the search box or the actual Google Toolbar? All copies of Firefox come with the little search box in the top-right and there are several search engines pre-installed with Google being the default, but the special Googleised version comes with an entire Google Toolbar (like the Google Toolbar that they make for IE) pre-installed too (you can also download this toolbar separately and install it on regular copies of Firefox too).

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

moonlit wrote:Just to note, the Google Toolbar and the Firefox search box are different things... the Toolbar is an extention/plugin, the search box is part of Firefox (the bit to the right of the address bar) and isn't Google-only, just preconfigured to use Google as of course Google is what a whole lotta people use.
The firefox search bar (among most any browsers) will take any OpenSearch search "plugin" for lack of a better term. Mozilla just has the best list of those search engines.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Zimmy, I assume that you are referring to
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1178
this post. This was not made as an order, it was merely a suggestion to people that have problems spelling. I made this post after a few members blatantly ignored our spelling and grammar rules. This does not mean that you have to switch to firefox at all, but to switch to a browser that has a spell checker in it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

stitch
Permanently Banned

Post by stitch »

Fireware wrote:Zimmy, I assume that you are referring to
http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1178
this post. This was not made as an order, it was merely a suggestion to people that have problems spelling. I made this post after a few members blatantly ignored our spelling and grammar rules. This does not mean that you have to switch to firefox at all, but to switch to a browser that has a spell checker in it.
You should also keep in mind, a lot of our members, and members in other forums in general, are not from an english speaking country. While their native language isint english, I do have good words to say about their english, 99% of the time, I can understand what foreginers are saying in english.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

i see your point, but I think this post was made because at the time, the people with the worst spelling were from english-speaking countries like the UK.

Aztech

Re: RE: If you have problems spelling

Post by Aztech »

Andy wrote:Unfortunately some members thing it is OK to consistently spell everything wrong and it is very annoying.

Alternatives are:
- Type your post in a word processor and spell check it before posting
- Use a dictionary on words you're unsure of
Unfortunately, spell checks only find mis spelled words, not mis used as
is demonstrated by the bold word in your quote.
TBH, I can't see what the fuss is about, if you can read the sentence
regardless of the spelling then let it be.
Xdude has been around for some time, he'd be one of the hardest
to understand if spelling's an issue, but we live with it.
Is this a beta forum or a secondary schooling.
Why do so many look for faults in others, it's so annoying reading
such posts.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

That word was spelt correctly yet it was still a typo I agree, but you could understand the sentence. And I agree with the worst spelling people were from native English speakers. And it is true. One member got banned for not using correct grammar and spelling (though this was not the only reason, don't get me wrong. He refused to even try and made up excuses).

The fact is, everyone should be trying to spell things properly, and if you can't, use a spell checker. Its not up for debate, it should be second nature.

blahsucks-two

Post by blahsucks-two »

Camino can do spell-check now too.

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/ ... pellcheck/ also indicates that Opera can use aSpell on non-Mac platforms and has native spell-checking on Macs. Basically, it's not going to be a problem unless you use Dillo, K-Meleon, or other obscure browsers. Even Konqueror and Galeon are said to work.