Whistler 2202 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
sp4rkbr

Whistler 2202 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error

Post by sp4rkbr »

Hey people I got Whistler 2202 and I tried to install it on VirtualPC but right after this screen...

... i get this bsod...

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Anyone know how to fix it? Ive created another virtual hard drive but I got nothing. I'm gessing it's something in the BIOS.

Thx in advance!

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Whistler Build 2202 can't be installed by booting from the CD (assuming this is what you've been trying to do). Start the install from DOS by launching winnt.exe.

sp4rkbr

Post by sp4rkbr »

empireum wrote:Whistler Build 2202 can't be installed by booting from the CD (assuming this is what you've been trying to do). Start the install from DOS by launching winnt.exe.
Thanks mate, it's working so far

Edit - Ugh, sorry what date should I set on BIOS? :\
Edit2 - Nevermind, I got it working

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

2202 is pretty much teh same as windows 2000, I wonder what did microsoft do to the boot files. what is different anyways?

sp4rkbr

Post by sp4rkbr »

XDude wrote:2202 is pretty much teh same as windows 2000, I wonder what did microsoft do to the boot files. what is different anyways?
Yep and I noticed there isn't even any "Whistler" written anywhere.
I have no clue what they did to the boot files...
And i didn't notice anything different at all, except the version near the clock, it says SD Windows 2000 Professional.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

sp4rkbr wrote:
XDude wrote:2202 is pretty much teh same as windows 2000, I wonder what did microsoft do to the boot files. what is different anyways?
And i didn't notice anything different at all, except the version near the clock, it says SD Windows 2000 Professional.
Yeah, I haven't noticed any differeces either except for the build string ("SD" is for "Setup Disk" AFAIK).

sp4rkbr

Post by sp4rkbr »

empireum wrote:
sp4rkbr wrote:
Yeah, I haven't noticed any differeces either except for the build string ("SD" is for "Setup Disk" AFAIK).
Offtopic: sorry about my avatar I just realized it looks like yours, I'll change it

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

sp4rkbr wrote: Offtopic: sorry about my avatar I just realized it looks like yours, I'll change it
No, don't. Why should you, it doesn't bother me at all. I didn't even make that one myself.

sp4rkbr

Post by sp4rkbr »

empireum wrote:
sp4rkbr wrote: Offtopic: sorry about my avatar I just realized it looks like yours, I'll change it
No, don't. Why should you, it doesn't bother me at all. I didn't even make that one myself.
Ok.. hehe thanks. :]
I didn't make that either hehe.
No more offtopics

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

that always happens with windows 2000
ask beta freak

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

toshua123 wrote:that always happens with windows 2000
ask beta freak
Nonsense. That does not "always happen" with Windows 2000, besides, this is actually a Whistler build, even though a very early one. This issue has been known for Whistler build 2202.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:
toshua123 wrote:that always happens with windows 2000
ask beta freak
Nonsense. That does not "always happen" with Windows 2000, besides, this is actually a Whistler build, even though a very early one. This issue has been known for Whistler build 2202.
Its never happened to me when installing 2000 so your pc obviously just doesn't like it.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Well, if it "always happened with 2000" then no-one would ever have been able to use 2000, and that clearly isn't the case

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:Well, if it "always happened with 2000" then no-one would ever have been able to use 2000, and that clearly isn't the case
2000 also wouldn't have been released in that state.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Andy wrote: Its never happened to me when installing 2000 so your pc obviously just doesn't like it.
Is this directed towards me or toshua123? Because I didn't say it happened to me when installing 2000, but it happened to me when installing Whistler build 2202 by booting from CD.

sp4rkbr

Post by sp4rkbr »

Googling about it i found out this is a problem that happens mostly with Windows 2000 (or only with Windows 2000). Obviously not always but in some cases as described on microsoft's explanation:
ms wrote:This Stop message indicates that Windows 2000 lost access to the system partition during the startup process. This error always occurs while the system is starting and cannot be debugged because it generally occurs before the operating system has loaded the debugger. During I/O system initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Repartitioning the system partition or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might also induce this error.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

but i think (on 2000)
you can insert a dos disk
but i dont know with one

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@sp4rkbr
This error can occur on any version of Windows NT, from 3.1 to 6.0 (aka Vista). It's not restricted to Windows 2000.- In this case, it's simply a problem in Whistler build 2202 which can't be installed by booting from the CD.

@toshua123
A DOS disk won't help you there. You could boot with one that has NTFS support to fix the problem, but it won't get the system operational immediately.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Thats what i ment

KenOath

Post by KenOath »

I can't imagine why they made such a big change about how this one runs
from the bootable image\iso, but yes - if it's made bootable using your
regular 2kb boot sector then it won't work...
I made a working bootable ISO of this in the OSBA days & upped it to a
few servers then...
Last edited by KenOath on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

blahsucks-two

Post by blahsucks-two »

Actually, it just happened to me

I was installing Windows NT 3.5 Workstation in floppyless mode using VMWare Fusion. (Fusion doesn't have floppy support, which sucks, FYI)

FIrst, I booted from a DOS 6.22 iso. Then, I fdisked the drive, rebooted, formatted the drive, and switched the iso out for the NT disc. I ran winnt /b, went through the process, rebooted, and got this STOP error.

I'm probably going to try it in Parallels now..

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

An error like this happened when I tried to install Windows 2000 on a computer before realizing that the hard drive had fried. However, mine did this when I got up to the Partition Manager phase of the setup so maybe the Whistler 2202 setup doesn't recognize CD drives. Whistler 2430 and 2257 installed in VPC fine so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll download Whistler 2202 and see if mine will boot. If not, I'll have a look around and see what I can do.

Oerg

Post by Oerg »

Happened to me on normal Windows 2000 two times:

1. after a while of having it installed
2. after just putting in a hdd with that OS.

This error usually happens, when you didn't install the operating system on the machine you're trying to use it on. This is an issue with the IDE controller driver AFAIK.

Greetings
Oerg

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

It also happens if you dual-boot an NTFS5-unaware NT 3.x/4.0 which has been installed on NTFS with Windows 2000 or newer.

But the original problem has been solved, let's get back on topic now.