Post by empireum »

Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" April 2007 CTP
Build 6001-16497-070330-1720

General image (containing Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter):
x86: wsl_6001-16497-070330-1720_x86fre_server-KB3SFRE_EN_DVD.iso
x64: wsl_6001-16497-070330-1720_x64fre_server-KB3SxFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Web Server image:
x86: wsl_6001-16497-070330-1720-x86fre_SvrWeb-KB3WFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Edit: Cleaned up, added Web Server info.
Last edited by empireum on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

expert01

Post by expert01 »

dupe

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

expert01 wrote:dupe
What?

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I think he's referring to the fact that this story was already posted. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what the changes are, if any - you seem to have got your hands on this build very quickly considering it's only just dropped

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Oh, sorry, I hadn't seen the other post because I had moved the topic.
Yeah, I have "my sources" *very mysterious* (a joke) – so far, it's installing in a VM and going quite quickly, no changes (visually) compared to the latest build. Will post more when the install is done.

I'd like to see the virtualization technology finally implemented, but I am afraid this might only be available on Datacenter, and I have a key for Enterprise (and am thus installing that ATM). If I can't find it, I may reinstall Datacenter just to check if it's in there at all.

Small update:
Okay, install is done now. First thing I have noticed: They changed the graphical login screen, it's now identical to the one in Vista Starter. And it lists itself as being Build 6001 with Service Pack 1, v.113. Strange. Sorry that I can't provide more information now, I have to leave, but will say more and upload the screenshots I have made and will be making.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Screenshots: Windows Server "Longhorn" Enterprise

(One step before starting the install. Grey and professional) .)

(Click that button!)

(Which edition do you want? I chose Enterprise because I can activate it.)

(Installing. Like Vista, only grey-ish and server-ish.)

(Almost done with extracting. It's going very fast in a VM with the ISO being read from the HD.)

(Vista??? That's why it's beta I guess.)

(Amid the install, empty basic desktop, only the version tag showing. Nothing new here.)

(Logging on for the 1st time. The login screen has been changed to visually resemble that one from Vista Starter, not the "Aurora" one from the other editions. I'd love it in grey, not in green.)

(The desktop, in all its tidy and clasic glory. Windows 2000/2003 greets!)

(Performing the most necessary basic settings. There is no admin password by default!)

(The System Properties. It's shows that it is Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1, v.113. A bit strange... Don't worry about the CPU speed of >4GHz, this is in a VM. 1.83GHz is correct.)

(Now let's start doing the serious management stuff!)

(The ugly icon in the taskbar is still there, but it's nice anyway. I like the server image much more than Vista's. A shame it doesn't show the actual edition (yet?).)

(A bit late, I know, but... the boot screen. Completely identical to the Vista one. Why haven't they used a silver or grey bar?)

(Installing additional features. PowerShell is installable by default. Note there's nothing about virtualization, but maybe this is because it's not yet been implemented or not available on Enterprise. Maybe installing Datacenter will give an enlightenment on this one?)

(Storage Explorer. iSCSI, FC – hard-core server stuff, man.)

(MSConfig. Nice way around the cryptic bcdedit.exe, BTW).

(The VM's components. The LAN interface has been disabled, that's why it has the exclamation mark.)

("Noooo... Do you really want to shut me down and reboot into Linux?" – "Yes, I want, and I'm not going to tell you why.")

("Okay, keep cool dear admin, I'm following your command in total obediance.")

Have fun! Sorry for the comments, but I was in the mood for posting them.
Last edited by empireum on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Thanks! Nice work

empireum wrote:Sorry for the comments, but I was in the mood for posting them.
No probs, they're cool

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

notice that it says sp1? (this might suggest that it is built similar to vista sp1)
I really hate the vista logon screen, aroura or not, I like the cassical windows 200 logon, but, I never seen it in vista/longhorn.

nix

Post by nix »

Thanks for the screenshots,I'm still downloading it.

The Build number is still 6001,what's MS thinking about?And the Beta3 was replaced by April CTP,maybe it will be May CTP,June CTP...

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

nix wrote:Thanks for the screenshots,I'm still downloading it.

The Build number is still 6001,what's MS thinking about?And the Beta3 was replaced by April CTP,maybe it will be May CTP,June CTP...
It's no longer the build number 6001, but the sub-build number, 16406, 16461, 16497 and etc.that matters, so just remember that

nix

Post by nix »

XDude wrote:
nix wrote:Thanks for the screenshots,I'm still downloading it.

It's no longer the build number 6001, but the sub-build number, 16406, 16461, 16497 and etc.that matters, so just remember that
Maybe you misunderstood me,what I mean is the main-build number,just like the main-build number of longhorn server beta2 is 5384.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

anyone try the web server build?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

XDude wrote:anyone try the web server build?
Haven't seen one so far, the image includes Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter. But I am sure there is one. The EULA files suggest it:
nix wrote:Maybe you misunderstood me,what I mean is the main-build number,just like the main-build number of longhorn server beta2 is 5384.
Yep, we think MS will keep it at 6001 and only increment the sub build number (at least in the next time), as XDude said.
XDude wrote:notice that it says sp1? (this might suggest that it is built similar to vista sp1)
I really hate the vista logon screen, aroura or not, I like the cassical windows 200 logon, but, I never seen it in vista/longhorn.
Yep, I'd already pointed out the fact it says SP1. As for the login screen, I'm with you here, I'd really love the classic Windows 2000 logon, but it has been removed in NT 6.0 according to MS, the most you can get is the Vista logon screen asking for user name and password. Still, the logon screen is finally a bit more server-like. Maybe someone will find a way to have the classic logon back in NT 6.0.

A question: Should I try to use TweakNT on that build? (To reveal a "web server" build or to convert it to a Vista-like OS?)

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

empireum wrote:
XDude wrote:anyone try the web server build?
Haven't seen one so far, the image includes Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter. But I am sure there is one. The EULA files suggest it:
XDude wrote:notice that it says sp1? (this might suggest that it is built similar to vista sp1)
Yep, I'd already pointed out the fact it says SP1. As for the login screen, I'm with you here, I'd really love the classic Windows 2000 logon, but it has been removed in NT 6.0 according to MS, the most you can get is the Vista logon screen asking for user name and password. Still, the logon screen is finally a bit more server-like. Maybe someone will find a way to have the classic logon back in NT 6.0.

A question: Should I try to use TweakNT on that build? (To reveal a "web server" build or to convert it to a Vista-like OS?)
Yo can try it, but web server is another iso on connect, it's not on this regular one.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

XDude wrote:Yo can try it, but web server is another iso on connect, it's not on this regular one.
Thanks, didn't know that. How big is that ISO?

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

empireum wrote:
XDude wrote:Yo can try it, but web server is another iso on connect, it's not on this regular one.
1.61GB for x86

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

XDude wrote:
empireum wrote:
1.61GB for x86
Thanks for the info! The regular ISO is 1.77GB BTW.

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Hm.... where have you got that... i cant get it neither on technet nor at connect..... ( i am in lh server beta programm)

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@XDude
Thanks for upping the Web Server build... Do you have any screenshots of it? My download's going quite slowly ATM...
And: Is this the first Web Server build available of it? I've never seen one before, that's why I ask...

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

empireum wrote:@XDude
Thanks for upping the Web Server build... Do you have any screenshots of it? My download's going quite slowly ATM...
And: Is this the first Web Server build available of it? I've never seen one before, that's why I ask...
Its the first one i ever seem, I havn't installed it

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Okay, thanks! I'll post some more info when I get it installed, that is, when my download finishes. Seeing on your screenshot that Web Server has no "Core" option unlike the other editions.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

empireum wrote: Image
How can it be Service Pack 1?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

FiFi wrote:How can it be Service Pack 1?
No idea, exactly. Maybe it's reflecting the fact that the server kernel will be on par with the Vista SP1's. But as I said, I don't know actually.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

empireum wrote:
FiFi wrote:How can it be Service Pack 1?
No idea, exactly. Maybe it's reflecting the fact that the server kernel will be on par with the Vista SP1's. But as I said, I don't know actually.
It could be service pack 1.
It reminded me of how Windows x64 was built. When Windows server 2003 SP1 beta 2 was windows x64 beta 2 and so on. When SP1 was over, Windows x64 was complete.
I believe that build 6001.16384 (16384 is the orginal sub-build number which used to be number .0) should be the orginal server code corresponding to the client build 6000 is the final build. Everything after that such as 6001.16406 are recompiles of 6001 with newer codes intergated into the code like services packs.
Also, the v113 is also correct, this is the 113th recompile if .16384 was .0 and .16385 was the first recompile.
I don't find any major changes to longhorn server, so yes I believe it is build like a service pack.

This is my own opinon, I'm not 100% sure, but sice microsoft didn't bump the server build up by 1000 like in xp.server 2003 at RC1 suggest that microsoft is doing things differently this time.

Rhade™

Post by Rhade™ »

thx for this nice review