Windows Georgia

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Xammer

Windows Georgia

Post by Xammer »

Why do many people say the codename for me was georgia? It was "Millennium". I didn't see any build labeled "Georgia" so far.

betamaster

Re: Windows Georgia

Post by betamaster »

Xammer wrote:Why do many people say the codename for me was georgia? It was "Millennium". I didn't see any build labeled "Georgia" so far.
6 or 7 build is in andy server but you must be actepted in usergroup and have 10 contributing posts to get access to protected forums.

tpemail

Post by tpemail »

@Betamaster:

You misunderstood him. What he wanted to know why WinME betas were called "Georgia"

Anyway I myself didn't see any one labeled as Georgia either. All "Georgia" builds in Andy's FTP also displays "Millennium" while installing and using.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yeah, that's a common mistake, don't know why it's been getting around.

betamaster

Post by betamaster »

tpemail wrote:@Betamaster:

You misunderstood him. What he wanted to know why WinME betas were called "Georgia"

Anyway I myself didn't see any one labeled as Georgia either. All "Georgia" builds in Andy's FTP also displays "Millennium" while installing and using.
Ah, ok sorry

Andrew
Donator

Post by Andrew »

This question is one I've been wondering for ages, I called it Millenium for a while, then gave up trying to be different

Xammer

Post by Xammer »

So it is a mistake, actually.

Grisa

Post by Grisa »

I remember the beta stage of Windows ME (I've even non-officially tested them at that time), but no one called it "Georgia", it was simply "Windows Millennium" (without the "Editon" appendix).
I dunno where this Georgia name come from, it doesn't even fit into the codename-line (the Windows-codenames (except NT5) are sourced from city names, not from countries').

Win9xBeta

Windows Georgia

Post by Win9xBeta »

In 1999-2000 I tested a lot of WinMe alfa/betas.
Releases from 2332 to 244x were named “Windows Codename: Millennium”. I can’t remember any Georgia title in BetaGuide, Release Notes or anywhere else.
Name change to Windows Me was started in January 2000 (build 2452).

Richard0612

Post by Richard0612 »

It is listed as Georgia on WinWorld, I think that once one build is mislisted as one codename, it becomes accepted generally which can cause confusion, especially for alpha/beta testers and collectors.

AnDrEwP182

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

there is probably no leaked Georiga components, but release notes to an early non-public beta may have slipped up with Georiga on them. Then it moved outside corporate beta and was renamed Millenium.

Just my theory.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

AFAIK, it was called Georgia on the first builds (they were unleaked to public) than they changed codename to Millenium and only Millenium ones were leaked

AnDrEwP182

Post by AnDrEwP182 »

It is probably in some vault in the Gates' manor. Along with Windows 1.0, Codename Tiger plans, and retail boxes for Neptune. Ok, I need to find that room...

lisiuwah

Post by lisiuwah »

It's possible that microsoft firstly plan up to use gerogia as the ultimate name, just as "vista", however, when the development towards the release of 2k and many user jump into NT family, what they did were trying to make that product sounds "nicer", and called it Me.... Gerogia maybe the name that they plan to release, but not a codename..

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

a worthless bump, please read the RULES!!

And Georgia was the codename.

And when installing the betas the menus said ''millennium''.

And please check you spelling.

Unknown

Post by Unknown »

DjRob wrote:And Georgia was the codename.
And you know this how?

mdogg
Donator

Post by mdogg »

The Windows Me betas on SillyProject are named Georgia. That's good evidence.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

mdogg wrote:The Windows Me betas on SillyProject are named Georgia. That's good evidence.
I got some genuine ME Beta CDs here (from TechNet). They are all labeled "Windows Codename Millennium". Better evidence?

jaclaz

Post by jaclaz »

William Shakespeare:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet."

--From Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)
...though in the case of ME maybe the "stink" might be used instead of "smell"

jaclaz

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

I saw it somewhere and on the server is also named georgia, and a quote of wikipedia
In 1997, "Millennium" was the codename for a future version of Windows NT that was expected to be released in 2000 or 2001. In 1998, Microsoft stated that there would be no version of Windows 9x after Windows 98.[3] In 1999, however, Microsoft announced a new version of Windows 9x, that was later revealed to be codenamed Millennium. In 2000, this was released as Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me).
Maybe close this tread now.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Closed on request.